Prayer for Holiness
Learning the importance of more effective prayer.
One of the most complicated and sometimes frustrating things that a student of the Bible can ponder is the mystery of just how to get closer to God and live a holy life. It seems no matter how much prayer one puts into their lives and how much one studies, there seems to always be the question that arises, “How can I get closer to Jesus Christ? How can I know how to pray better? What do I pray for?” There seem to be things in our lives that happen which automatically bring us to our knees in prayer, be it for gratitude, or during times of distress. Those are the times it seems we do not have a choice but to either thank or beg God, depending on what’s going on at the time.
What could we ask for in prayer, that the Holy Spirit may grant us the ability to get closer to Jesus Christ?
1. Lord, teach me to be holy. (1 John 1:5-9)
2. Lord, grant me all the fruitages of Your Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self control. (Gal 5:19-25)
3. Lord, conform me to a righteous state, that I may act in a manner most pleasing to you. (Titus 2:11-14)
4. Lord, keep evil away from me, and surround me with your holy angels. (Matt 26:53)
5. Lord, remove any hidden bitterness or unholy things in me, as only you can. (Acts 8:21-24)
6. Lord, gently remind me in my conscience when I act or think in a way that is not pleasing to you. (Acts 24:16)
7. Lord, remind me to pray more often throughout my day, keeping you as the focus of my existence. (Eph 6:17-20)
8. Lord, lead my steps to a path where temptation does not appeal to me, but instead, is disgusting to me. And in my sins, teach me repentance. (2 Peter 3:9, James 1:12-15)
9. Lord, clothe me so that all who come in contact with me may see my humility, righteousness, and love for you. (Phil 2:1-4)
10. Lord, keep my eyes looking to the skies, that I may be well prepared for your coming, for all that is here for me is earthly things, and the heavenly gifts are the promises that I live for. (Matthew 24:29-31, 42)
11. Lord, grant me wisdom and strength, so that I will know when you call me to do your work, and act according to your purpose. (James 1:5)
12. Lord, let me never fall from grace so that I would be separated from you, but rather hold me in the palm of your hands, as you promised. Let me be amongst the holy and elect once, separated from wickedness and always growing in your grace. (John 8:28, 2 Peter 3:17, 18)
13. Lord, teach me to stay strong in my faith, unmovable and dedicated to you. (1 Cor. 16:13)
14. Lord, help me to do good, to praise you wholeheartedly, and make sacrifices for you with a genuine heart. (Heb 13:15, 16)
15- Lord, provide me the gift of discernment, that I may rightfully make choices pleasing to you. (Heb 5:13, 14)
What a blessing it is to know that even though we are so easily able to sin as lowly beings, we are deserving of the grace of our Holy and sovereign God, even in our imperfect state. What a gift we are given knowing that grace will repeat itself endlessly in our lives, until such time that we meet our Father in heaven. What an honor it is to know, that in our walk with the Holy Father, we can be reminded by Him through His calling, that He will keep us close, granting forgiveness and blessings in our lives. Truly, a more exquisite and perfect gift could not be obtained anywhere, from here unto forever, than that of the gift of our salvation through our Savior, Jesus Christ.